Coconut Bear Claw Recipe
Yield: 8 bear claws
70 g. butter, softened
100 g. shredded coconut
60 g. powdered sugar
30 g. milk powder
25 g. (approximately 1/2) egg, beaten
1/8 t. salt
270 g. bread flour
30 g. cake flour
1/2 t. instant yeast (1 t. dry active yeast)
30 g. sugar
1/8 t. salt
150 cc. milk
30 g. butter, softened
egg wash (1 egg + 1 T water)
1. Sift powdered sugar. Combine coconut, sugar, milk powder, and salt.
2. Add softened butter
3. Add egg
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Take out 10 minutes before assembling and forming bear claws.
1. Combine flours, yeast, egg, sugar, salt and 120 cc. milk (everything except butter and 30 cc. milk).
2. Gradually add remaining milk and knead.
3. Gradually add softened butter bit by bit and continue kneading (use slapping method- check out this video). Dough should be elastic, soft and smooth.
4. Let rise until double in size. If making bread in cool weather, try letting dough rise with a cup of hot water. A microwave or oven is a good place for rising. In the summer, if it’s humid outside, outside is a good place too!
5. Divide into 8 balls.
6. Allow balls to rest for 15 minutes. While balls are resting, take out filling from refrigerator.
7. Roll each ball into a flat circle and place about 1 to 1-1/2 T filling in the middle of the circle. Take edges of circle and pinch together in the center so filling is enclosed in the dough.
8. Once the filling is enclosed in the dough, you should have a ball with dough on the outside and filling on the inside.
9. Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees
Steps to forming the bear claw are pictured below.
10. Just prior to baking, brush with egg wash.
11. Bake at 350 F. for about 15-20 minutes until top is golden brown.
Best eaten warm.
How else do you like to eat coconut?